This monastery was built in 1825 by Father Megalokonomos on a site called “Kseroulaki” near the village of Drymonas. According to the legend the priest was trying to collect a sum of money in order to build this monastery. One day he decided to go to Constantinople (Istanbul) to seek help. There, he came across a pirate who told them he had hidden a treasure on the beach of Melidoni not far from Drymonas, and explained to the priest how to find the exact spot. Back in Kythera the priest did indeed find the jar that contained a treasure made of jewels, coins and other valuable objects, and therefore built the monastery. He added the jar to the church tower as a sign of gratitude. This is a private monastery that belongs to any descendent of the Megalokonomos family who becomes a priest.